MORGAN CEMETERY

MORGAN CEMETERY

Monday, May 28, 2012

Wee Sarah

Edith Aloft ~taken from a Victorian children's book

It was not a grand revelation that once I began to wander the cemetery I would
quite naturally, and in accord with human (and writer!) spirit, begin to develop an affinity 
for certain graves and wonder greatly at their story.  The children, of course, always tug at your heart.

I will say, there aren't a great many for such a time,  but enough to make one stop 
and ponder the circumstance.

For the era, and in a rural location besides, I was quite in awe of the extensive work that had been able to be done on a great many of the stones.  Those final words that the parents chose so carefully in their grief.

I bring to you then one of my favorites:

SARAH
Daughter of
S.S. & P. DEWEY
Died Feb.22 1853
AE.  8 yrs. 2 mos.
& 11 Ds.

She was lovely she was fair
And for awhile was given
An angel came and claimed his own
And brought her home to Heaven.


I love that there is a little lamb carved in the top of the stone.

Bless you, wee Sarah, you have been thought of this day.
~
engraving taken from a Victorian children's book  1897





















3 comments:

  1. How sweet for you to remember her. I wonder if there are any local/county histories that would give more information on the people here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Other than one random internet page I found, dated 1998, listing the names and dates as they appear on the stones, there appears to be no records remaining. This particular cemetery has always been a mystery, or at least I am not able to locate much info. The town assumed responsibility in 1973 and declared it an historical site. I think that's why it intrigues me so.....the mysteries are still out there...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for remembering Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete